Ancient Beech Glen Affric, Scotland

Ancient Beech Glen Affric, Scotland
The Wishing Tree (Goldberry)

Gaia Theory and All Life is Connected

The concepts of an interconnected earth are intriguing and measurable. As a botanist and microbiologist I have studied symbiotic relations that range from parasitic to symbiotic. Many indigenous people have understood these concepts longer than modern scientists. The Lakota Sioux state: “Mitakuye Oyasin,”which means, “To all of my relations.” It is a prayer of oneness and harmony with all forms of life: people, animals, birds, plants, insects, and even rocks. It is a reminder that we all share a common kinship within the hoop of life. Our bodies are composites of bacteria, and within our cells are remnants of ancient bacterial cells that are now mitochondria. Dr. Lynn Marguelis a famous botanist, and suppoter of James Lovelock Theory of Gaia states: "The only individuals on the planet are bacteria."

http://www.unreasonable.com/people/margulis/root.htm

http://www.lakotawritings.com/Sacred_Symbols.htm


Magi magnificentii

Magi magnificentii
Magi, Mycorrhiza and Antelope Island State Park

Saturday, January 23, 2010

River Keepers

Green River through Dinosaur National Monument-NPS
http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/education/foos/dino.pdf

I recited the words to Langston Hughes poem, "I've known rivers..." on the banks of the Green River on the night before floating through Dinosaur National Monument past an exquisite anticline with colleagues and friends. The words of the poem are lush and evocative. I will never forget that night, nor the waters of the Green that were alternately light brown, or clear green as it ebbed over boulders within the river.
I've known rivers
I've known rivers ancient as the world
and older than the flow of blood in human veins
My soul has grown deep as the river
I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln
went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy
bosum turn all golden in the sunset.
I've known rivers
Ancient, dusky rivers
My soul has grown deep like the rivers.
Langston Hughes-The Negro Speaks of Rivers

The geomorphology courses I took at Weber State University where I studied the evolution of rivers, their habit and the role of watersheds brought a different perspective to the poem. Human culture has been shaped by rivers. They were our first mobile interstates, and civilizations have flourished, or ended on their banks. We have worshipped them, bathed in them, washed and drank from them. While many still visit for recreation or reflection their banks are often held in place by concrete, and jumbled mounds of rif-raf (jumbled boulders).
Currently, I am participating in an internship with the Ogden River Restoration Project while I complete my masters in education. The stretch of the river being restored traverses through a dilapidated, and now mostly vacant neighborhoods. Except for the occasional brief honking of mallard ducks, the river is quiet. While it the river has frequently been used as a midden for the last hundred years, and its banks held in place by large slabs of concrete, with an occasional shopping cart peaking through its light-brown waters, the granny-nanny cottonwoods that line its banks are exquisite.
Rivers, link humans to the water cycle. They assist in recharging our ground water acquifers and provide food and shelter for a myriad of lifeforms. Perhaps we all need to become River Keepers and stewards, and become in the words of Langston Hughs, "My soul has become deep as the river."
Utah Adopt a Water Body Program:
Project WET
Acid-Mine Drainage:
Utah History: Peter Skene Ogden
River Restoration
Utah Rivers: Realtime Data




10 comments:

  1. Hi Shaunna, I couldn't resist being the first one to post here, actually I didn't know you could post on this site, the thing being you know, how did I get in here, I was just visiting because I was bored, so I will signal the post comment button and exit, goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blog. You have some great posts. As you have said on other occasions that people are forgetting about the earth and our relationship to it, I think this blog has some great information for us all to be aware of the beauty that is all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poem you posted. When I was in college I did an internship and had the opportunity to work on the Jordan River Corridor project. Those were good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately the link to acid mine water didn't open. During my undergrad days I also worked up at Alta on an acid mine water project with Salt Lake County. Along the Alta Lodge we built a system on three holding cells that acid mine water traveled through. Each cell had a different compost material and we planted them with plants that would assist the cleansing of the water. Through the samples that I gathered on a weekly basis we were able to determine the pilot project a success. I felt fortunate to be apart of a project of that nature and I have to say I found such an enjoyment getting my hands dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaunna, a very informative and useful blog! I love the addition of the hyperlinks to further larning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog Shaunna! I love the pictures you posted. I also like your personal story of your childhood memory in the Sierra Nevadas. I grew up in Northern California and my family had a cabin in Tahoe, so I have fond memories of that area too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought your information about rivers was really interesting. I did not know the role they play. Your internship sounds fascinating too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you write. You are so expressive and lyrical. I studied Langston Hughes in College and that poem is one of my favorites. Your pictures are beautiful. Good luck with your conservation efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shaunna, I have a lot of respect for your blog since it is your first one and you put it together in a timely manner. Just a note that I am taking a poll on my blog on the super bowl if you would like to cast your vote! see ya, Joe

    ReplyDelete